Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Thirty Evening Meals From The Pantry :Summary







This is the food needed for the 30 meals. Note that I have displayed only 3 packets of the Creamy Mash in front of the box of Creamy Mash. Each packet, I figure, costs about 71 cents.
And note that I put a whole box of cornstarch, even though 1-2 Tablespoons is needed. Also I did not put a picture of the Brown Minute Rice...which I use in several recipes.

The total for 60 meals (30 meals times 2 because there are 2 of us in our household) was $120.00 including the chocolate desserts I made.I did not take pictures of the dessert ingredients in this post. They are in previous posts.

Many of the meals had lots of leftovers which were used the next day. In an emergency, it is good to have a cooler that you can keep foods cool in (assuming that you can procure ice.)If you have no means of refrigeration, invite the neighbors over to help you eat the food from the meal...or take it over to them.

This has been time consuming but fun! Now I know that in an emergency, I have the menus and ingredients all ready to go...and for 30 days we are set. I will soon post my menus for Lunches for 30 days...and ideas for Snacks.

I encourage whoever is reading this to try this project. You will probably choose many different foods than I have chosen. Maybe you love canned asparagus and couscous and Spam so will include those in your menus. I'd love to hear some of your ideas for meals from the pantry. Please leave comments! Thank you!

1 comment:

Dave said...

Very Cool Project, Mom. I think you did a great job! You should bind the recipes together in a disaster-proof laminated binder or something. That would be cool.