Friday, February 20, 2009

60 Breakfast Ready To Go....



FOOD SECURITY IS HAVING YOUR PANTRY STOCKED WITH ENOUGH FOOD FOR 3 MONTHS!

Here are the ingredients for 30 breakfast each for my husband and I(we are "empty nesters-just the 2 of us.)

We eat oatmeal almost every day anyway. To be "Food Secure" for 3 months, then, I will just triple these items.I will have to watch the expiration dates and rotate these items into use, and replace with fresher items.

If oatmeal is kept in too warm of a place for too long, it will develop weevils.

SO...do not store in your hot garage during the summer!

The quick oatmeal is 1.78 at WinCo...(Quaker Oats is more expensive)

30 1/2 cup dry servings in each canister.
1/2 cup dry equals 1 cup cooked oatmeal.

I cook the oatmeal in a cooking pot: 1/2 cup oats per 1 cup water per serving. I add 2 Tablesp. raisins to the cooking pot and some cinnamon..this sweetens it up nicely without sugar. I use soy milk to cool it off once it is in the bowl. Soy milk adds more protein to this meal and thins it out a bit. I do not like thick "gluppy" oatmeal. I serve nuts with this meal because you
should have some oils (or fats)with each meal (nuts have good, healthful oil) and nuts add more protein to the meal.

What is great about this meal? Costs about 31 cents for breakfast (including the nuts, soy milk, raisins)The oatmeal has good fiber that absorbs cholesterol from your intestines and flushes it out of the body.

No comments: