Friday, February 6, 2009

Meal #5 Chili-Chicka-Roni




Menu:
Chili-Chicka-Roni


I just made up this name! I think it is cute.
This is a nice hearty meal for 2. All these menus I have been posting (except the Tallerone-which feeds about 8)feeds 2. That is because currently in our household there are 2 people: my husband and myself.

Chili-Chicka-Roni

1 box mac and cheese
1 can diced green chilis
1 12.5 oz. can chicken chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 cup milk or a bit more to get to the consistency you like.
milk

Your favorite seasoning (we like Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy, black pepper, Pico de Gallo powder)

This meal does have a vegetable: the green chilis. Next time I make this I will use a bigger can of green chilis. I did chop the chicken chunks up. Put the liquid from the canned chicken into the water you use for cooking the macaroni.

By the way, you do not need a lot of water to cook macaroni, only to drain off the water down into the sink drain. Just use twice the amount of water than there are noodles (like in how you cook rice.)After the macaroni has boiled until it is almost done, you can put a lid on the pot and turn off the heat (thus saving fuel) and finish cooking with the residual heat...takes about 5 minutes.

This is a nice warm comforting nourishing one dish meal with its creamy cheesy base, high protein chicken, and the delicious green chilis. I used olive oil instead of butter that the recipe on the box calls for (I used only 1 tablespoon of olive oil) and then I used about 1/8 cup of soy milk, because I saw that the green chilis had some thick liquid.

No comments: