Monday, December 8, 2008

About Mixes



When you are stocking up, you may want to buy some mixes such as PastaRoni or others similar to it. Most of these mixes are way too high in sodium, so if I do get a mix, I always add an extra cup of noodles to it (I try to match the shape of the noodle) or an extra cup of rice to it (like in Rice-a-roni)and then 2 extra cups of water and cook as directed. You get more servings and a more palatable meal. Hamburger Helper is also very high in sodium so if you have some, do the same as above...
you can also cut the salt by adding some complementary cooked vegetable to the dish.

Macaroni and Cheese mixes are a good comfort food, especially for kids.
I do not add any extra salt and I reduce the amount of butter it calls for. In emergency situation, you can use the boxed soy milk, or canned milk. I like to put
a small can of diced green chilis into our macaroni and cheese. Or you can add a half cup of salsa from a jar...yummy.

No comments: