Saturday, December 6, 2008

30 Evening Meals Project


In an earlier post, I challenged you to make a list of 30 evening meals you could fix with your food storage items (foods that you have not stored in your fridge). If the electricity goes out in an emergency, and you have an electric stove, you better have a camp stove to back you up or somebody is going to get grumpy from not having access to warm comfort foods, expecially in winter. They say food can be cooked on your gas stove if the electricity is out, you just have to light it with a match because the electric ticking thing that ignites the stove by itself will not work.

So...how is your project coming? Let me tell you, it will take a while. It is not something I could just sit down and write out. At first, I had 4 meals and thought that was it...but as each day passes, I get more ideas...or I see a recipe somewhere that uses all canned/packaged foods and herbs and spices...and that inspires me. I now have 30 different meals! The next step is to make a little cook book -just print it off on the computer- to put in with my stored food (I am keeping this new project's items in a separate containers so they do not get lost in my cupboards and so I can point to these containers and say: There are 30 meals in there!

My list of meals, when I publish it on this blog, is NOT labor intensive. You do not have to make tortillas from scratch or grind wheat to make your own bread. Yet, these meals will be satisfying and nutritious and will keep everyone in my household happy and healthy during an emergency situation. Your list of meals will be quite different form mine, because your people will probably prefer different foods than us. Stay tuned...I am tweaking my list and my recipes and will publish it soon.

No comments: