Wednesday, September 12, 2012

One Pound of White Rice

Well...almost one pound. One pound was 28 cents and I paid 27 cents for this...
I measured it...2  and  1/4 cups of rice grains, uncooked.
I cooked it up....The formula is 2 parts water to one part rice but I always put in a little more water. Bring to boil. Stir. Turn heat to very low. Put lid on. Wait about 15 minutes. I heat off after 15 minutes and let it sit another 5 minutes. Never ever stir the rice while it is in the cooking stage....that is after your initial stirring and then turning heat down and putting a lid on it. Why? If you stir it, you destroy the steam pockets that are created in the mass of rice grains and then it won't cook properly. See the little "holes" in the mass of cooked rice?
I measured the rice into a 1 cup measure...got 6 full cups plus a half cup... 6  and  1/2 cups...so that is thirteen 1/2 cup servings of rice for 27 cents. 1/2 cup rice has quite a bit of calories:121 and 26.8 g carbs.
Here is one half cup cooked rice....not much protein..just 2.19 grams.
This costs 2 cents!
1/2 cup cooked rice is 2 cents!
So add something yummy on top. Here I have added some of my own sauce...a chicken curry. You can add canned soup if you lack time to make your own sauce. RICE SHOULD BE PART OF YOUR FOOD STORAGE!

No comments: