Monday, September 10, 2012

I Love Canned Beans

I love canned beans! I have lots in my cupboard and some in my car survival bag. And in my 72 hour kit!

Here is one of the most acceptable canned foods you can store. Kids seem to love beans and you can do a lot with them.They are even great eaten plain, out of the can, at room temperature.

I like to use canned beans because they are already cooked. It takes several hours to cook dry beans, and if you have a minimum of cooking fuel, you do not want to waste it on cooking dry beans!

Beans are wonderful! Why?

 1. They have a lot of fiber!
 2. They have protein!
 3. There are many different kinds to choose from.
 4. You can do so much with them!!! (Use your creativity or use proven recipes to add other ingredients to make different dishes!)
5. They are inexpensive...especialy at Winco

This beans (15 oz. can purchased today at our local Winco store) was 59 cents!
They were on an end cap, if you go looking for them this week.

Above is the nutritional value list. If you prefer less sodium, you can drain and rinse the beans.
Below is proof of the price of these beans. I already have rows and rows of canned beans in my pantry so I did not buy a lot...that means saving more beans for other customers! Like you!

1/2 cup of beans would give you 6 grams of protein, the same as an egg! And 7 grams of fiber!

By the way..the "Best By" date printed on the bottom of the can is 30 June 2015.
That's 3 years from now! And they will last longer than that, of course! I have eaten canned beans that were 2 years or more after the "Best By" date and they were fine.

I read a lot of health articles. Most professionals say to eat 1/2 cup of beans a day...or at least 3 times a week. So BEANS should be an important part of your preparedness pantry!

Remember: Never eat food from a bulging can. Make sure that the top of the can is sucked in and doesn't make a clicking sound when you press on it.

2 comments:

Jeanne Bradley said...

Thanks Joanie! You always have great things to share with us.

Mrs Abbott said...

Some of our favorite things to do with beans are to make homemade burritos (of course), beans and rice, tostadas, tacos, taco soup and I need to make white bean chili!