Sunday, August 26, 2012

Scenario #8 Being Safe In the Great Outdoors

Today in Relief Society, I apologized for being late with the August scenario. I gave out the handout you see below.

This scenario is for August because that is the time a lot of folks go on vacation., camping or hiking. It is also the hottest time in the high desert. I have myself been camping with my family and have thus become more aware of all the precautions one needs to take to stay safe.

 I myself fell victim to heat exhaustion during this August beach camping trip(I am very sensitive to heat and prefer weather temperatures in the 60's.) which often happens to people during the hot summer months. There seemed to be no escape from the heat while camping here...the tents were like solar ovens, the campground open areas had a tiny bit of shade, the sun's effects while on the beach is intensified by the heat radiating back into the air from the sand.

I believe for me personally, to avoid heat exhaustion at a place like this, I will bring a big canopy for more shade, and bring lots of hydration drinks and icy water to sip and to spray on my body. Maybe a battery operated fan.

Some advantages to this experience (we were a Refugio State Beach): no mosquitoes, no bears!

I will try to cover more topics this week, while we are still in the month of August, related to this scenario ....meanwhile, keep scrolling down to see the posts I made recently. E N J O Y  !

No comments: