Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Trying Whole Oat Groats For The First Time




I love having new experiences!
When Jeanne Bradley, at our Preparedness Class last week, said whole oat groats are really yummy, I decided to go buy some at WinCo.
This morning for breakfast, I decided to try cooking those whole oats. They are also called "oat groats."

You cook it like rice: put it in a pot with twice the amount of water. Bring to boil, then lower heat and put the lid on. Cook for 40-45 minutes. That reminds me of brown rice, which also has to be cooked for 40 to 45 minutes.(White rice just takes 20 minutes.) I always check the grains after 30 minutes..no stirring of course, but see if it needs a bit more water. If so, just gently put a little in. If the grains run out of water before it is done cooking, you will have some scorched grains sticking to the bottom of the pot and a lot of pot cleaning to do.

After the 40 minutes are up, I just turn the heat off, leave the lid on, and let it sit another 5-10 minutes in case it needs to finish up cooking.

Using a half cup oat groats gave me a cup of yummy cooked oats. I added soy milk and raisins, walnuts and cinnamon. It is quite good. Chewy and tasty. The only draw back in an emergency situation is that it requires a lot of cooking time, compared to quick oats, which take a minute to cook. Please see my link on the side bar here...under ALL ABOUT GRAINS Click on OATS. Excellent site!

No comments: