Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Pure Wheat





BY far, the easiest way to use wheat is to cook in overnight on low in a crockpot (at least 8 hours). Use 2 cups water for each cup wheat, and then add some extra water to make sure the wheat does not dry out. I used 3 cups of wheat and about7 and 1/2 cups water...in the morning, I measured out about 7 cups wheat, hot, fragrant, soft, ready to eat. I ate a half cup of it plain...nothing added..no sugar, no salt, no cinnamon..and it was delicious..this pure wheat. Try it!

Now I have all this cooked wheat in a covered container in the fridge. Tonight, I will make Chinese Fried Wheat with it. I am lucky my husband LOVES whole grains.

This is the recipe I will use:

Chinese Fried Wheat


Saute in oil....
1/2 cup diced onion, 3 cloves garlic, sliced, 1 cup diced bell (I have a nice big red one from Winco-48 cents now) pepper, until all are glistening and hot but still crunchy.
Add 2-3 cups cooked wheat. Stir
Add a cup and a half of diced chicken meat and stir. Add some soy sauce, black pepper, Mrs. Dash (if desired.) Stir until all combined and hot. Serve...extra soy sauce on the side and maybe some steamed asparagus (in season and 99 cents for a large bunch at 99 Cents Only Store) and steamed sliced carrots on the side to give the plate more color and nutrition. Voila!

No comments: