Tuesday, March 31, 2009

RICE



What kind of rice do you like?
What kind of rice do you usually fix?
Are you willing to try some different rices?

The most unusual rice I have ever eaten was purple rice at a Thai Restaurant. It was great!

Tonight, we had basmati brown rice (purchased at WinCo)for supper, with salmon and brussle sprouts. My husband loves whole grains and he liked how I fixed the rice tonight. I cooked it this morning. Brown rice takes 40 minutes to cook. Then after it cooled a bit, I put it in a container and refrigerated it. For supper, I stir fried it in some olive oil and added some soy sauce, black pepper, and Mrs. Dash. MMMmmm.

There is jasmine brown rice available at WinCo as well as many other kinds of rice...go check it out!

Brown rice has much more fiber and many more nutrients than white rice, plus it tastes better! If you have not had brown rice in a while, I challenge you to cook some up this week! You can do so mnay things with rice!

My favorite things to do with rice:

1. Stir fry it with different vegetables...or with finely chopped meat..or a combination.
2. Make frittatas.
3. Pour curry sauce over it.
4. Make rice pudding.
5. Add it to Ragu Spaghetti sauce with a little water and make a tomato rice soup.

I want to learn how to make "Sticky Rice" and have purchased some (also called "sweet rice" or "sushi rice" from the Asian Market by BigLots here in Victorville.
It is the end of March...I have barely touched on the subject of grains for our food storage so I hope you do some research on your own. The Internet is full of information and recipes!

No comments: