Friday, October 30, 2009

My Hot Chocolate Recipe




Here is what I have every morning in the cold weather. It gives me warmth, energy and happiness. When I first get up, I have my warm lemon water tonic (1/2 squeezed lemon in 2 cups water that I warmed on the stove.). Then an hour later, I have my hot chocolate. Then an hour later, I have my oatmeal. All this takes place before 7 am and then I am ready for the busy morning. (I get up at 5 am or 4 am.)



Joan's Hot Chocolate

1 1/2 cups soy milk
1 level tablespoon Hershey's Cocoa
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of cayenne pepper

I whisk it over a medium flame in my little stainless steel cooking pot until it gets nice and foamy and hot. This is my favorite mug...given to me by Kathy Sanchez when she was my VT last year.

NOTE: There is no added sugar to this recipe. I get enough sweetness from the soy milk. Some folks may prefer to add sweetener to this recipe (like honey, sugar, or stevia, etc.)

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
Calories from 1 1/2 cups soy milk: 150 calories
Calories from 1 TBSP. Cocoa: 20 calories

Protein from the soy milk: 10.5 g
Protein from the cocoa: 1 g

Fat from the soy milk: 5.25 g
Fat from the cocoa: .5 g

PLUS...all the wonderful antioxidants in the cocoa and I get 37% of my daily requirement of calcium.

WHAT DOES THIS COST?
My $3.20 box of Hershey's cocoa (8 oz.) has 45 Tablespoon size servings!
Total cost of my mug of hot chocolate: (37 cents worth of soy milk, 7 cents worth of cocoa, 1 cent worth of cinnamon and cayenne.

= 45 cents ! What a deal.

No comments: